Friday, September 18, 2009

Focus on Ireland: "I knew I had to do sexual things or they would kill me"

IRELAND - Christine did not know what sex was until one of her clients showed her. She was forced into street prostitution as a teenager by a family member.

"It was terrifying but I knew I had to do sexual things or they would have killed me," the Irish woman said. About a decade after she stopped working the streets, Christine went to Ruhama, a support group for prostitutes, for help as she was still suffering. She is one of the hundreds of women who seek the help of the organisation each year.

Ruhama, which is marking its 20th anniversary, launched its biennial report for 2007 and 2008 in Dublin yesterday.

Christine shared her success story along with advice to other women, as she now begins her final year of university studies and prepares to be married.

"I would say to anyone considering prostitution, do not do it. It affects your whole life and the sadness never goes away. If one feels they are being made to go into prostitution by a family member or a boyfriend, go to the police...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE AT Independent.ie

No comments:

Post a Comment